AUTOPROTECTION The system aims to offer effective protection against pirate attacks at sea, adapted to the operating constraints of merchant ships, including ease of use. The aim is to prevent or at least delay, the pirate’s intrusion on the ship, while protecting the crew and giving them the opportunity to keep some control of the ship.
As defense principles for the in-depth securing of nuclear infrastructures, the system is based on the concept of “multilayer” defense. The goal is to accumulate layers to reduce dramatically the likelihood of a successful pirate attack quantified by taking control of the vessel at a given minimum time.
Specific means are associated with each layer and the system is designed to be highly modular by choice of all or part of the means proposed:
- Surveillance and detection : radar and infrared imaging ;
- Deterrence: light and sound means;
- Protection: anti RPG7s (rocket) gateway;
- Anti - boarding : external smoke and water repulsion systems;
- Anti -theft : waterproof armoured doors and internal smoke
In this way, no less than a dozen devices are shown in the system with their mutual potentiation over as guideline. It has been proved that an individual device can not be used individually to ensure fully protection function.