TAU in French – Tir d’Autodéfense d’Urgence
ESDF in English- Emergency Self-Defense Fire
To suit the need of the operator, SOFRESUD develop a new concept which explores the implementation of an asymmetric surface threats shortest range self-defense system.
It combines two elements:
- A target designation reflex device like the usual QPD is acting as day optical sight and is used as a small-caliber gun 20 mm to 30 mm manager;
- A small caliber gun made to follow QPD orders by pointing at threats.
TAU is our answer to expectations which have not been met so far with QPD:
- Statement of the distance from a surface target;
- Minimizing the number of operators;
- High availability;
- Imperative very short reaction time between first detection and initiation of effective fire
- Identifying / evaluating the threat and evaluating the commitment.
DOG in French – Désignateur d’Objectif Géographique
GTD in English - Geographic Target Designator
The GTD is an on ground advanced Visual Sighting Device system developed by SOFRESUD to determine the geographic coordinates (GPS) of a threat and to send them to a weapon system.
Its innovative specification comes from the use of a triad of gyros with very low drift to detect the Earth's axis of rotation and to develop the details of the line of sight. Identification of the Earth's axis of rotation allows DOG to move, relatively to geographic North.
An international patent was granted in 2006 for the DOG which is entitled “device and associated method capable of determining the direction of a target”.
Required performances to be in line with the operational requirement have been validated by a technical and operational simulation.